Dear Potential Classroom Mentor,
Many people talk about wanting to mentor youth and giving back to their community, but few organizations make it as easy to do so as The Black Star Project in Chicago. If you have only two hours a year, you can make a difference in the lives of children through the Black Star Project's Student Motivation Program.
The Black Star Project needs 1,000 classroom mentors and motivators for students of all races to ensure their success in the 21st century.
These students need heroes and role models like you. Many of them have never seen or talked to people like you. The students don't want athletes, entertainers or musicians as mentors and role models, they want you. You can teach them how to take advantage of life's opportunities. In a real sense, their success or failure is in our hands.
Do you have at least two hours, one time per year to help motivate students to do well in school, to mentor students to have good work ethics, and to model for students how to succeed in life in our newly globalized world? (Or you may wish to motivate several times a month.)
The name of our campaign is "One Thousand Mentors; One Hundred Schools!" If you need it, we will train you to be successful mentoring our children. You personally can make a big difference in the lives of hundreds of youth this school year.
One hundred Chicago area schools are expecting men and women of all races to mentor and motivate their students this school year at city and suburban schools. We need you to:
1) Become a Black Star Mentor/Motivator
2) Recruit 5 additional people into the program with you
3) Encourage your business to become a partner in the mentoring of children with a corporate investment (contribution) in their future workforce
4) Share this information with fellow employees at your government agency or not-for-profit organization
5) Ask your pastor or faith-based leader to encourage members of your congregation to mentor our youth through this program
ComEd is principle sponsor for the 5th consecutive year for the Black Star Project's Student Motivation Program.
(Please register with Ivory Harris of The Black Star Project at 773/285-9600 before going to a school)