The Black Star Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers positions with varying levels of responsibility for the development and support of our mission. All positions are based in Chicago, IL, unless noted otherwise in the description.
Director of Development
The Black Star Project seeks a results-oriented Director of Development to lead and grow organizational fundraising efforts. This is a full-time position, based in the Bronzeville neighborhood in Chicago, IL. The Black Star Project (TBSP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, action-based organization founded in 1996 to provide educational services that improve the lives of less-advantaged Black communities and to close the racial academic achievement gap.
• Create, edit, and submit successful grants and corporate sponsor solicitations.
• Complete all required program and fiscal reports to schools and funders.
• Assess strategies and implement plan to increase individual giving.
• Design marketing and communications materials, including quarterly newsletters, annual reports, and flyers.
• Work with the Black Star board and staff to develop strong community partnerships.
• Assist in developing programs and planning events.
• Develop program proposals to schools.
• Serve as staff liaison to Emerging Young Leader’s associate board.
• Work closely with Program Mangers to assess and improve program efficacy, i.e., rigorous adherence to goals and objectives to accomplish intended program results.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience with nonprofits, fundraising, and/or education, highly preferred
• Highly attentive to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Strong project management and organizational skills
• Experience analyzing data for programmatic and process improvement.
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement
• Quick learner who excels at juggling multiple projects simultaneously
• Highly proficient in Office applications, including PowerPoint, Word, Publisher and Excel
• Comfortable with technology: CRMs, Google Apps, MS Office esp. Excel and Publisher, social media, and email marketing.